Several years ago, FCBC formed a committee to work on revising our constitution. One thing that came out of that committee was the idea to separate our document into two parts – a constitution that included the basics that are not likely to change, and bylaws that would change more often as the church changes and grows. That committee started the process, but then life happened and other issues took priority, and the changes were not made.
During 2020, the trustees suggested the idea of changing FCBC’s fiscal year to something other than the calendar year, and the Deacon/Elder Board was very much in favor of the idea for multiple reasons, including moving the budgeting process to some time other than the Thanksgiving and Christmas season, moving the Annual Report writing process away from the Christmas season, having our Annual Meeting before the start of the fiscal year so that the budget could be voted on before the new year begins, and having the church year line up more with the school year which is what we use for most programming.
To change the fiscal year requires constitution changes, and there are a lot of things in our constitution (such as the number of people on a committee) that we are not doing in actual practice, so it seemed like a good time to actually finish the job of revising the FCBC Constitution.
- July 31, 2021 - Pastor Josh and Sue Chamberlin worked on writing a “Proposed Constitution and Bylaws.”
- Sept 22, 2021 - That document was reviewed by the Elders and by several other members of FCBC. Their feedback has been incorporated, and we are now presenting this document “Faith Community Bible Church Constitution and Bylaws" to the membership of FCBC for consideration.
- October 5, 2021 - An informational meeting at 7 PM (hybrid meeting at FCBC and on Zoom).
- October 18. 2021 - An informational meeting at 7 PM (only on Zoom).
The current constitution is available below for comparison. Please come to one of the information meetings and get your questions answered.
October 24, 2021 - There will be a business meeting after church to vote on two items:
- Instating the proposed Constitution and Bylaws.
- To approve a plan for transition that includes two parts -- one for the budget and one for electing people in January to serve for 18 months; accepting this new constitution and Bylaws and to vote on a transition plan.
BUSINESS MEETING MOTIONS
- October 24, 2021 - We move to replace the Faith Community Bible Church Constitution with “Faith Community Bible Church Constitution and Bylaws (September 22, 2021)” effective as of the Annual Meeting in January 2022. A second motion to approve the transition plan will be voted on.
- January 22, 2022 - In order to transition to a July 1 to June 30 fiscal year, the budget that will be voted on at the Annual Meeting in January 2022 will be a 6-month budget, covering January through June 2022.
- All persons elected to office in January 2022 will be asked to serve for 18 months, and their term of office will end in June 2023. Any persons serving multiple year terms of office will be asked to serve an additional 6-months, so their term of office will end in June instead of January of the appropriate year. There will be no Annual Report produced in January 2022.
- June 2022 - Annual Business meeting to vote on the budget for July 2022 through June 2023. The Annual Report will be produced in June 2022 covering the time period January 2021 through June 2022.